Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving

The day before we go on break for Thanksgiving I will have activities based on Thanksgiving. I will ask the children if they know what the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving. Then I would read the book "If you Sailed on The Mayflower in 1620" by Ann McGovern. This book is a question answer kind of book, it is also filled with factual information for the children to absorb. This book illustrates the Pilgrims first year in America. It will better explain to the children what Thanksgiving is all about. After reading the book I would ask the children if they had any further questions about what Thanksgiving was all about. I would also go around and ask each child to name one thing they are thankful for.



I would have all the children go back to their seats and I would hand out a writing worksheet. I would have them write a short story about what they would did if they were on the Mayflower in 1620 and coming to America for the first time. I would tell them to write about what they would bring, who they would bring, and why. After all the children were done writing I would ask the children if their were anyone that would like to share their story. I would have them go to the front of the room and read their story. 


After we were done the writing and speaking activity I would have a couple of fun worksheets for the children to do that have to do with Thanksgiving. This is so that the children can relax and wine down a little bit. 



I would rather be able to appreciate things I cannot have than to 
have things I am not able to appreciate. - Elbert Hubbard






No comments:

Post a Comment